2019 Knik 100 and 200 Races Cancelled

 In Announcements, Race News, Trail Condition Report

2019 Knik 100 and 200 Races Cancelled

Due to a number of trail route concerns which will be exacerbated by this week’s above freezing temperatures, the Knik Race Committee feels that holding the 2019 races is no longer a viable option. In the interest of safety for the dogs, mushers, volunteers, and race fans, we are forced to cancel the 2019 Knik 100 and 200 races.

Because we have several mushers and their support teams travelling here from great distances, we do not wish to delay in making this decision as we feel that conditions will not sufficiently improve in the interim. Though the ice thickness at Knik Lake is currently sound, other parts of the trail are not. This is especially true of the Yentna River area. We have been advised that even our planned alternate route to the Yentna checkpoint cannot be trusted, and with considerably warmer temperatures forecast for this week, this will not change.

Establishing and maintaining a safe trail from the race start to the finish line has become a recurring challenge for the last several years of the Knik races. This unpredictability will likely continue. It is for this reason that we have already begun to determine an alternate route that will be less vulnerable to warmer and inconsistent winter temperatures. Beginning with the Knik races in 2020, we will establish a new and ultimately safer route for our race participants. In addition, because of the tremendous difficulties and added work for our volunteers when we are forced to postpone the races, and the inevitable conflicts with other events, we will no longer postpone. If on our traditional race date of the first weekend of January the trail conditions are not acceptable, we will cancel the races.

We wish to take this opportunity to acknowledge those mushers who have contacted us with concerns about safety in light of current conditions such as areas of overflow and open water. As always, the Knik Race Committee holds safety as our number one priority. We will always err on the side of caution and without apology.

Teams who are currently on the roster will receive full refunds. We will begin issuing them shortly and you will receive your funds as soon as PayPal completes their processing.

The Knik Race Committee is grateful for the support of our volunteers who make this race possible, the mushers and their dog teams who participate, as well as the fans who cheer our two- and four-legged athletes throughout the race. Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you in 2020 with a new and less weather-dependent race course for the future.

Recommended Posts
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search