New Race Course for Knik 200 but Knik 100 Cancelled

 In Announcements, Race Course, Race News, Trail Condition Report

After careful consideration, the Knik Race Committee has determined that because of current conditions, starting and finishing the Knik 100 and 200 races at Knik Lake is not a viable option. To avoid cancelling the Knik 200 race altogether, an alternative race course has been chosen.

Knik 200 teams will start at the Deshka Landing airstrip in Willow. From there, teams will travel to Yentna Station and return to the Deshka Landing airstrip for their mandatory 6-hour layover. After their layover, they’ll loop through Yentna again before returning to the finish line at Deshka Landing airstrip.

The start time for the Knik 200 race will now be 1 pm. The date remains the same: January 31. Teams should be at the Deshka Landing airstrip no later than 11 am that morning, along with their drop bags.

The 12-dog limit remains in effect.

The Knik 200 mushers meeting will be at 6 pm on Friday, January 30, 2015 at the Curtis Menard Sports Complex in Wasilla.

Because of the changes in the race course, if any Knik 200 team wishes to withdraw they may do so and will be refunded their entry fee minus a $25 admin fee.

Meanwhile, the race committee is keeping a close eye on the course’s conditions. If temperatures do not increase between now and race time we don’t expect to cancel the Knik 200 race.

Unfortunately, due to these changes and unexpected logistics, the race committee has reluctantly decided that cancelling the Knik 100 is necessary in order to focus on the Knik 200. We recognize how important it is for those who need to run the race as an Iditarod/Quest qualifier that they’re able to do so. It’s hoped we can resume the Knik 100 in 2016.

Entry fees will be refunded in full to all Knik 100 teams.

Recommended Posts
Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search